Mesker Park Zoo and Botanic Garden Timeline
1928 - Evansville Zoological Society formed.
1928 - 2 circus lions donated for Evansville’s zoo.
1929 - Kay (elephant) purchased partially with pennies donated by school children.
1930 - The zoo moves to current location in Mesker Park.
1932 - Bar-less lion and bear exhibits built by WPA.
1933 - “Santa Maria” monkey ship built by Rotary Club.
1935 - Dam built to form the lake.
1954 - Kley building constructed
1954 - Bunny (elephant) arrives. She is 3 years old.
1956 - Sgt. Snickers buried at the zoo.
1975 - Children’s Contact Area dedicated.
1984-85 - MPZ Docent program established.
1987 - African Panorama exhibit constructed.
1988 - Australian exhibit constructed.
1991 - MPZ ZooTeen program established.
1992 - Discovery Center opens
1995 - MPZ adds Botanic Garden to its name.
1999 - Lemur Forest opens.
1999 - Bunny retires to Hohenwald, TN.
2001 - Jordie (rhinoceros) arrives and his exhibit opens.
2002 - MPZ&BG reaccredited by the AZA.
2003 - Children’s Enchanted Forest opens.
2008 - AMAZONIA opens.
Historical Photo Slideshow