Are you already a ZooTeen?
What is a ZooTeen?
ZooTeens enjoy the zoo with other teens ages 13-18 through this unique and exclusive volunteer program.
What does a ZooTeen do?
ZooTeens assist the Zoo Staff and Docents with many aspects of zoo operations, including animal care and handling, teaching and interpretation in programs, group leadership in summer camp, and much more.
The ZooTeen program requires volunteer training, periodic animal handling training, and a minimum number of volunteer hours be served each year. ZooTeens are invited to attend special ZooTeen events and holiday activities, and help with programs and events throughout the year. To fulfill minimum requirements, they are also required to help during some of our Zoo Camps each summer.
Becoming a ZooTeen is a fun way to spend time with animals and peers. It is also a great way for a student to gain resume- or scholarship-building experiences that will lend benefits to their college and career choices. ZooTeens will gain knowledge, skills, and experiences that will last a lifetime, including…
- zoo operations
- animal and plant care and management
- wildlife & environmental conservation
- handling and interpretation of living animals and biofacts
- teaching and interpreting to others
- leading youth activities
- public speaking
- exposure to careers in animal, botanic, environmental, biological, and natural resource sciences
- exposure to careers in education, camp counseling, outdoor education, interpretation, customer service, and volunteer coordination.
- and much more!
How do you become a ZooTeen?
- Complete the ZooTeen Application using the online form below.
- Attend a ZooTeen Recruitment informational meeting on May 2nd, 2020
- Complete our ZooTeen training course, which includes both classroom and outdoor sessions on May 9th, 2020 and informal training with a ZooTeen Leader during your first week as a ZooTeen during 2020 Camp ZOOfari.
- Fulfill minimum volunteer service hour and event requirements throughout the year.
Questions about the ZooTeen program should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Forms and Information for Prospective ZooTeens