Are you already a ZooTeen?
What is a ZooTeen?
ZooTeens enjoy the zoo with other teens ages 13-18 through this unique and exclusive volunteer program.
What does a ZooTeen do?
ZooTeens assist the Zoo Staff and Docents with many aspects of zoo operations, including animal care and handling, teaching and interpretation in programs, group leadership in summer camp, and much more.
The ZooTeen program requires volunteer training, periodic animal handling training, and a minimum number of volunteer hours be served each year. ZooTeens are invited to attend special ZooTeen events and holiday activities, and help with programs and events throughout the year. To fulfill minimum requirements, they are also required to help during some of our Zoo Camps each summer.
Becoming a ZooTeen is a fun way to spend time with animals and peers. It is also a great way for a student to gain resume- or scholarship-building experiences that will lend benefits to their college and career choices. ZooTeens will gain knowledge, skills, and experiences that will last a lifetime, including…
- zoo operations
- animal and plant care and management
- wildlife & environmental conservation
- handling and interpretation of living animals and biofacts
- teaching and interpreting to others
- leading youth activities
- public speaking
- exposure to careers in animal, botanic, environmental, biological, and natural resource sciences
- exposure to careers in education, camp counseling, outdoor education, interpretation, customer service, and volunteer coordination.
- and much more!
How do you become a ZooTeen?
- Complete the ZooTeen Application and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application will be available here in January 2020.
- Attend a ZooTeen Recruitment informational meeting, offered several times a year.
Look for recruitment details here later this year.
- Interview with staff. Interviews will be conducted after application is received and after attending an informational meeting, and before the next docent class begins.
- Complete our new volunteer training course, which includes both classroom and outdoor sessions and informal training with a mentor.
- Fulfill minimum volunteer service hour and event requirements throughout the year.
Important Forms and Information for Prospective ZooTeens