Are you already a ZooTeen?
What is a ZooTeen?
ZooTeens enjoy the zoo with other teens ages 13-18 through this unique and exclusive volunteer program.
What does a ZooTeen do?
ZooTeens assist the Zoo Staff and Docents with many aspects of zoo operations, including animal care and handling, teaching and interpretation in programs, group leadership in summer camp, and much more.
The ZooTeen program requires volunteer training, periodic animal handling training, and a minimum number of volunteer hours be served each year. ZooTeens are invited to attend special ZooTeen events and holiday activities, and help with programs and events throughout the year. To fulfill minimum requirements, they are also required to help during some of our Zoo Camps each summer.
Becoming a ZooTeen is a fun way to spend time with animals and peers. It is also a great way for a student to gain resume- or scholarship-building experiences that will lend benefits to their college and career choices. ZooTeens will gain knowledge, skills, and experiences that will last a lifetime, including…
- zoo operations
- animal and plant care and management
- wildlife & environmental conservation
- handling and interpretation of living animals and biofacts
- teaching and interpreting to others
- leading youth activities
- public speaking
- exposure to careers in animal, botanic, environmental, biological, and natural resource sciences
- exposure to careers in education, camp counseling, outdoor education, interpretation, customer service, and volunteer coordination.
- and much more!
How do you become a ZooTeen?
- Read the Zooteen Program Informational Flier. The Zooteen program begins with the start of school in the fall. (We will offer the program training again in spring 2021 to accommodate every student in our transition to an annual fall start.)
Click here for Flier
- Complete the ZooTeen Application using the online link below. Applications are accepted through August 31 for the fall training.
- Attend our ZooTeen introductory training class, which includes both classroom and outdoor sessions with staff, Docents, and Senior Zooteens. This is offered in early September every year. (It will also be offered in Feb. of 2021.) You will be invited to the session via email around Sept. 1 and once your application is received.
Questions about the ZooTeen program should be submitted to email@example.com
Important Forms and Information for Prospective ZooTeens